To work safely with electricity, always be in control of it and be aware of its potential dangers.

120 volt can shock and even kill under some pretty common circumstances. Unplug the refrigerator before attempting any repairs. After repairs are completed, and it's time to plug the refrigerator in again, remain near the plug-in for a few moments in case there is a problem, so you can unplug it.

Also, don't under estimate the potential danger of 12 volt DC. Although you're not going to get seriously shocked by 12 volt, it can create a spark and ignite anything flammable such as propane. A short in a 12 volt circuit can get hot enough to start a fire or burn you. If you can locate the fuse or breaker supplying 12 volt to the refrigerator, shut of the power before working with it. If you can't shut off the 12 volt power elsewhere, disconnect the 12 volt leads to the refrigerator, but be sure to cap them off with electrical tape or wire nuts.


When working with electricity, never use your bare hands or a conductive object (such as a metal tool) to touch "live" circuitry. Use an insulated object like a meter's test probe instead. Never connect power (120 volt or 12 volt) back to the refrigerator if there is the smell of propane present, or the slightest chance that propane has accumulated near the refrigerator. Turn the propane tank off and let any accumulated propane dissipate, before connecting the power.